WWOOFing it Up in Kiwiland: organic farming in New Zealand 2012

3 years later and life brings me back to New Zealand. This time for a longer period, for a different purpose, with a different outlook on life than last time. I hope what transpires from a few years of travelling as far and as wide as possible across this beautiful country is a basic but decent knowledge and experience in organic farming, self sustainable living, and food production. Come and join me, there's loads of room in the car.

Thursday 11 October 2012

'Today is a beautiful day and You are a beautiful person so SMILE! Arohanui ♡'



Day 5



I'm finally getting used to waking up early again. It's like missing Capoeira for a week; you get out the habit and you pay for it when you eventually get back to training with pain for days after! I'm also getting used to doing 4 odd hours of manual labour a day, instead of using my brain. It's a nice change and you feel a different kind of tired. A change is as good as a holiday so they say, and this change has meant less migraines. A success story in itself.

Another welcome change is the weather. Today was one layer warm sunshine and so I was outside all day. I helped build a gigantic bonfire in the paddock with the orchard prunings, it went about 10 feet high and apparently that nothing because the ones in the barn get 3 times that. I got covered in mud, also from Dice and Baa baa jumping up on me. Then I did some weeding in the garden, not my favourite task; I like gardening better when I can eat the fruits of labour!

After that, I treated myself with a trip to the beach to make the most of the sunshine while I can. You who know me well, know that I love beaches. Sand in my toes, water and sunshine, because who goes to the beach unless it's sunny. I also discovered the nicest restaurant, The Drift Cafe. Although I only had a fejoia juice, the specials I overheard the waitress say sounded delicious. In the dining area, they had glass vases hanging from the ceiling with fresh flowers in them. If I was having a birthday party in NZ, I would have it there. The sink in the toilet was a bucket and the mirror had written at the top: 'Today is a beautiful day and You are a beautiful person so SMILE! Arohanui ♡'. The last word translates roughly from Maori to English as Big Love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home